Wednesday, April 18, 2012

AA Meeting: Cultural Submersion

Since we have been learning and reading about cultural submersion, I thought it would be good to write about the experience in an AA meeting.  A few semesters back, I had to do an assignment for my Psychology class on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.  I had to locate and attend an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) meeting so we can experience and see what those who attend regularly would do.  We were to put ourselves in their position and see how difficult it is to admit and share our vulnerable side.

I have to say that I was surprised by a few things.  First, these meetings are not always held in the same place.  Sometimes, they move from one location to another and you have to check a schedule to follow the same group or you can attend different groups.  I always thought that you just go to the same place all the time.  Second, most of these support groups are religiously affiliated.  I did not know this!  When I was there, I had to pray and hold hands with other people, which is completely out of my comfort zone and character.  I felt very uneasy.  I am not a non-believer but showing affection or praying in public is not my practice.  I was brought up in a Buddhist culture and our Asian custom does not encourage display of affection too often, never mind showing it in public. 

Although I was uncomfortable, I have much respect for those who attend these meetings.  It gives them a differnt atmosphere and relationship alternatives that are different from the one that may be poisonous to their recovery.  Most who attend depend on this sanctuary to forget about their habits and they get a chance to offer encouragement to others as well as receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment